Saturday 14 November 2020

How can I keep from singing?

 

Firstly, an apology for the lack of a blog in the last two weeks; endless technical problems....... but now, to horse! 


My life goes on in endless song/ Above earth´s lamentations,
I hear the real, though far-off hymn/ That hails a new creation.

Through all the tumult and the strife/I hear its music ringing,
It sounds an echo in my soul/ How can I keep from singing?

Singing, but only by myself. Since covid struck, the choir Mary and I belong to- nothing fancy, just done for the joy of it- has not met to sing. We lack the technology to record individually and put it all together as though we are all singing in one room, and anyway, that smacks of a professionalism we don’t pretend to.

Song for me has been reduced to the croaks I can produce, and what I hear on the radio, or via CD. The earworm keeps it alive too.

The church services I led recently have been less than they could be, as there was no singing. The world has diminished by lack of expression in any form of live singing since the spring. 

Nevertheless, the heart continues to sing. In the face of all the goodness Audrey Assad’s song (above) witnesses to, how can I keep from singing?  ‘I will sing praise to the name of the Lord most high’ says the psalmist. In kitchens and bathrooms, songs and hymns are still sung ‘above earth’s lamentations’. Somehow, we can’t stop singing,  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment