Sunday 22 August 2021

Retirement

 Yesterday I visited an old priest colleague, who lives in the parish. He is afflicted by cancer, and according to him, spends most of the day asleep. The visit- not that it is by any means an exclusively priestly task- reminded me that although parish ministry is over, some of  its tasks and responsibilities remain- the visitation of the sick among them.

I realise that the opportunities which have come to me since retirement are those of a privileged class; financial security, food security, personal safety and good health have all bolstered the openings for leisure, learning and friendship which have come our way.  But should they decline, and should I be sleeping most of the day in that waiting room for death, there is still room for growth, although not in the areas I have already mentioned. 

One can always grow in God, given the intention. Much else may have gone, but one thing remains steadfast, sure; the love of God to his creation, and I hope to journey deeper into it until it is all in all.        

  

No comments:

Post a Comment