Saturday 26 February 2022

comfort zones

 I don't know who coined the phrase 'comfort zone', but it's a brilliant way to encapsulate the routine, the safe- all the things, the people I'm -yes- comfortable with. I don't have to try hard here, I can work from default positions, I'm in control, there's little here which has about it 'here be dragons', as on those unmapped areas of early maps. 

Little which is dragon-infested, but not necessarily all.  Trouble is, comfort zones can be small, and paradoxically they can be uncomfortable. I may be safe, but I may hate myself for the default position it leaves me in. Comfort zones can become smaller, more restrictive. I've seen that in some people. 

By contrast, the faith invites us to a landscape with the widest of hinterlands. 'Explore' it says. Or to use another metaphor, God puts us in front of a huge crammed-full cupboard, throws open the doors, and says 'Go in, take what is necessary, and then, take some more, beyond the necessary, and keep coming back.' It's an endless landscape, inviting us to push on, leave the stockade, the comfort zone far behind. 

New worlds lie ahead. Explorers wanted for expedition. Experienced guide comes as standard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment