Saturday 12 March 2022

The pain

 The new training programme at the gym, set up at my request, has landed me in pain for three days. I want to walk the newly-designated St, James' Way in the summer, from Reading to Southampton, but in view of my great age and decrepit body, will probably attempt it in two halves, separated by 6 weeks or so. The present pain level makes me wonder if I will do it at all......

The training regime is designed so that my legs particularly will zoom up hill and down dale with no ill effects- the pain now is so that there will be little pain then. When I walked the camino thirteen years ago, it was the muscles in my thighs that caused me pain- the same ones as now. Memo to self; I must build up the strength and stamina on this training programme at a slower rate; bull in a china shop has proved unworkable in terms of pain and discomfort. 

All this came to mind before I fell asleep earlier this week, pondering 'How do I make a good Lent when already I try to be alert to God every day?' The unused leg muscles reminded me forcefully that there are some resources which have not been exercised for some time. From there it was an easy jump- a metaphorical one, dear reader- to identify some Lenten reading. 

Not all pain is bad- discuss.   

No comments:

Post a Comment