Saturday 17 September 2022

the sign of the cross

 J have been surprised, as I have occasionally peeked in, via the laptop, to the lying-in-state of our late Sovereign of happy memory, to see so many people make the sign of the cross, or an attempt at it, before the coffin as part of their mark of respect.  

I had no thought that the UK was so religious, Maybe it isn't; maybe it's what people think they should do. Maybe they think that, given the late Queen's faith, she would somehow appreciate a mark of faith from them. Whatever, it is heartening to see. 

The sign of the cross; the cross as a sign. Of God's activity in life, and in death. A sign I identify with as I make that sign over myself. More often, though I know technically how to make it, and make it often, I'm more like those who fumble, make an approximation of it. Given that my life will always be an approximation to what that cross means in the outworking of those who are content to make the sign on a regular basis, a fumble seems about right..  

No comments:

Post a Comment