Saturday 11 September 2021

Crossword puzzles

I'll let you know straight out that it's a big sacrifice to put the Church Times crossword to one side- without even starting it!- to write this blog. Cryptic crosswords hold an attraction for me which is irresistible. A sign of my twisted mind, I suppose. 

If only the life of faith were like a crossword puzzle! Clear boundaries, always amenable to solution, black and white......... well, I guess we have helpful clues, but all the rest is missing. It can be something of a puzzle right to the end. 

St Paul talks of 'seeing in a glass, darkly', which about sums it up, in spite of one of clues being 'a lamp unto my feet, a light for my path'. Largely we make the best way we can, hanging on for dear life to the clues, aware that we make a mess of it all. 

One clue which I hold dear is the assurance that any attempt to navigate the path of faith brings joy to God's heart. With this, I'll happily stumble on; it brings infinitely more contentment than the completion of today's puzzle. Now let me see, 3 down........

No comments:

Post a Comment