Saturday 18 September 2021

In sickness and in health

 It struck me, as the world wobbled uncontrollably, as I heaved my guts up, and as I had to crawl on hands and knees to the loo, and then ditto to bed- yes, dear reader, I have had a bout of labytinthitis this week, and I would not put it among the top ten cosy illnesses to suffer from- that with some sicknesses, the beginning of the sickness can mark the beginning of the cure. Perhaps better; the recognition of the sickness can mark the beginning of the cure; the sickness is brought to our attention. 'Do something about me' it cries.  

I knew what was needed in this case, having had this twice before; a course of Stemetil to stop the nausea, and steady the world's spinning. Several doses later, the desired effect has come about, although there is some way to go yet before the peak of rude health is achieved once again........

But this recognition; surely that chimes with the gospel view of sickness- be it physical or spiritual or mental? The recognition that something is wrong may not lead to seeking a cure, but in many of the gospel stories of Jesus' healings, that is the impetus for seeking his help. 

Odd that our sickness may contain the key to our health; I'm sure that's true in many cases of spiritual malaise.  Let's call the spiritual sickness 'sin' in its widest context- that which separates us from God. We know the cure; if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and purify us.... as the first letter of John has it.    


No comments:

Post a Comment