Sunday 3 October 2021

cleaning

A week and more has passed since The Dog (our son's black Labrador) has returned to its owner; great was the rejoicing at the reunion. Since then, inter alia, we have been cleaning, and been surprised at where dog hairs have lodged themselves. Carpets, rugs- fair do's. Ditto the filter in the drier, although a frown crosses my forehead a week after his departure as hairs still show up there, 

But how come I discover dog hairs on the mattress, under where sheets, mattress topper, etc have been? 

Aware as I am of the shortcomings of my life, I see this as an illustration of the pernicious nature of that old fashioned word 'sin', which clings so closely, as the writer to the Hebrews puts it. I remain grateful therefore for the multiple ways of grace which keep me more or less tidy in the sight of God; those spiritual parallels to soap, hoovers, scouring  pads, mops and the whole armoury of cleaning stuff we use in our houses.      

No comments:

Post a Comment