Saturday 23 October 2021

Passing a milestone

 It felt like a small victory over decrepitude when I saw the drop of blood  from my finger sink into the green liquid in the test tube; my iron levels were good enough to allow me to donate blood. It was almost more important to have a decent iron level than to donate this, my fiftieth pint. The iron level was the marker that must be passed.  

I started donating late, and will never reach a hundred pints; the regular sixteen week visits to various large halls filled with donors like me, interrupted in recent years by anti-malarial pills which necessitated a six-month break; but fifty is a satisfying number. Still, sixty would be better, so I'll keep on donating. Who knows, maybe sixty-five....... 

I had thought I might stop giving once I had reached the magic fifty pints. But no, the call is still there, in an email- formulaic, and sent to everyone who has reached this milestone- and so I'll go on as long as I reasonable can. 

The call of God works in a similar way- I come so far, thinking I've answered it, and find the call still goes on, find that Christ is still ahead of us, that there is road to travel yet.   


No comments:

Post a Comment